Friday, January 16, 2009

Back in the Day

As I mentioned before, I found a great knitting book from 1920 in my Grandmother's attic and I am adding a lot of the patterns one at a time to my blog. As I type them in, I notice that they are written as if EVERYONE knew how to knit. I talked to my mom (88 years old) about this and she said, "Well, everyone did know how to knit..and sew and cook and embroider and set a proper table." They were taught from an early age to be wonderful wives and mothers. I just wonder what the world (and our children) wouuld be like today if those things didn't change. If women were content with staying at home raising their children and creating a 1920 home. Something to think about.

4 comments:

cabin + cub said...

Wow...1785? i t would be interesting to see what the patterns look like!
:)

Artsnark said...

very cool - pretty amazing how much life has changed since then

Ring by Ring Designs said...

That is such a treasure. Glad that you appreciate what you found and thanks for sharing the patterns. I know I'll never use them. Knitting isn't my thing but I appreciate the work since I at least know how. Bev

G.Dowell said...

I'm a mom who does not knit, who had a mom who didn't knit, but I will show these to my daughter who taught herself how to knit.